Nancy Roberts is the owner of Salām Language Services, which draws worlds closer through the artful services of translation, editing and proofreading, helping people achieve desired goals and connections one word at a time.
“Drawing worlds closer with words”
- I am an ATA-certified Arabic-to-English translator based in the Chicago suburbs with occasional stints in Amman, Jordan, which I made my home from 1995-2015. (For more on how I got started, click here.)
- I have 27 years of experience translating, editing and proofreading texts in the fields of politics and current events; human rights and international development; Islamic jurisprudence, theology, art and political movements; and modern and ancient literature with a variety of individuals and organizations.
- Since 2017 I’ve volunteered with Exodus World Service and other community organizations as a consecutive interpreter and advocate for refugees from Syria, Jordan and the Sudan.
Why work with me?
For over twenty years, institutional and individual clients in the US, Europe, the United Kingdom and the Middle East have counted on me to provide them with timely, accurate, informed and culturally sensitive English translations of their Arabic documents.
My background in Arabic includes a Masters Degree in Arabic Language and Literature, 26 years of residency in the Middle East (Lebanon, Kuwait and Jordan), and certification from the American Translators Association.
The materials I translate include:
- Book-length works, both literary and non-fiction
- Articles, speeches, academic research
- International development documents, including reports, monitoring and evaluation documents, correspondence
- Educational records and other official documents.
The materials I edit include:
- Book-length works: fiction and non-fiction, whether translations from Arabic or written originally in English
- Academic research for publication, particularly in the humanities
- Any piece of writing a client feels needs to be streamlined, polished and otherwise improved.
Contact me to discuss your needs!
“Nancy exhibits superb performance, organizational skills, commitment, professionalism, precision
and expertise, in addition to equal mastery of both Arabic and English, qualities that make her work as both a translator and an editor highly effective and successful.”
Reem Ghanayem, Arabic Literature Editor, The Short Story Project
“Nancy Roberts is a superb translator who delivers work of only the highest quality. She's meticulous, prompt, and an absolute pleasure to work with. I welcome any project Nancy sends me because I know it will be good!”
Deborah Manion, Acquisitions Editor, Syracuse University Press
“Nancy Roberts' proficiency in the English language is matched only by her proficiency in Arabic, which goes beyond understanding the meanings of the words to feeling the spirit of the language and the nuances hidden within the folds of metaphor.”
Haji Jabir, Eritrean novelist and author of Fatima’s Harbor and The Abyssinian Rimbaud